Administrative Assistant, Governance and Economic Reform Division, Canada
Cowater’s Governance and Economic Reform (GER) division focuses on building strong public financial management and accountability systems. This aims to ensure sound financing and management of public services and investments and advancing development, reducing poverty, and improving the wellbeing of citizens. In addition, our work promotes sustainable growth and inclusive economic development by strengthening trade policy development, trade and investment facilitation, and the business enabling environment. GER implements projects across the world and work with a diversified set of development donors, including the UK’s Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office, Global Affairs’ Canada, the European Union, the World Bank and others. Cowater further counts on a dynamic and diverse team of professional committed to designing and implementing projects that deliver lasting results for clients and the countries with it whom it works.
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION
Cowater currently seeks an Administrative Assistant that will support the work of GER as well as corporate services in its Ottawa headquarter. The primary duties of this position will involve assisting Project Directors/Project Managers (PM/PD) with project related reports, coordination, logistics and finance, human resource management, and corporate services and activities. The work will involve support to ongoing projects and upcoming opportunities, under the guidance of Project Directors/Managers. This work shall be carried out by project teams with the employee functioning as Administrative Assistant. The Administrative Assistant will report to the Vice President of the Public Financial Management and Accountability Team as well as the Office Manager.
Report and Document Preparation
- Proofread project documents, reports, presentations, and proposals for ease of reading, spelling, grammar, and formatting;
- Assist in the preparation of schedules and planning documents;
- Assist the Project Managers in ensuring all reports are prepared and submitted to the Client according to the contract and in a timely manner;
- Format, design and prepare documents for printing, copying, and uploading online (including accessibility checks), upon final approval of the Director/Manager;
- Schedule and assist with report or proposal production and binding when necessary.
Coordination, Logistics and Finance
- Support all project administrative activities and ensure they are coordinated and scheduled effectively;
- Assist with correspondence for project staff, partners, and suppliers;
- Coordinate travel arrangements including booking flights and hotels as well as obtaining visas as required for personnel and consultants along with all related logistical support;
- Ensure all our personnel and consultants are registered in Cowater’s travel security system ahead of their departure;
- Coordinate and provide logistical support for event preparation, conference attendance, study Tours, and counterpart visits;
- Working with the Project Financial Officer, assist Project Directors/Managers with procurement by gathering the required competitive quotes and ensuring all paperwork is completed;
- Assist the Project Financial Officer in liaising with consultants (when applicable) on submission of timesheets, expense claims, invoices, deliverables, etc., and respond to inquiries as required;
Human Resource Management
- Provide human resource management support including for the recruitment of consultants and personnel as well as administrative support to long-term field personnel;
- Work closely with Directors/Managers to draft and/or revise all contracts and contract amendments, ensuring they are in line with the program’s objectives;
- Maintain up-to-date lists of contact numbers and coordinates for personnel;
- Maintain an up-to-date staff list, including keeping record of new employees and employees’ termination, and all other related information;
- Follow-up on contract anniversary dates, performance appraisals, salary increases, etc.
- Ensure consultants have the required insurance coverage while working on projects and ensure proof of insurance is on file;
- Organize and arrange orientation for new project team members, especially Team Leaders, in consultation with the Project Director/Manager.
Filing and Maintenance of Archives
- Maintain up-to-date project and proposal files;
- Support data entry and the generation of reports for monitoring and reporting to the client;
- Maintain files and archives, both hard copy and electronic, as requested and per corporate standards;
- Liaise with PDs and PMs to obtain and file appropriately all contract-related documents;
- Ensure that corporate archival material is forwarded for retainment as required.
- Assist team members with SharePoint, Office 365 and computer software procedures;
- Reception Telephone – check for messages – set up voicemails for new employees;
- Manage Couriers/Mail;
- Order Office supplies (including paper, coffee, toners).
- A bachelor’s degree or college diploma in business administration or demonstrated equivalent experience.
- 3-5 years working in an administrative, logistics and human resource support role or similar responsibilities.
- Advanced Microsoft Word (formatting – section breaks, table of contents, inserting PDF’s, etc.), Excel and PowerPoint skills;
- Quality assurance (accurate, precise, thorough, complete, attention to detail);
- Volume of work (quantity, speed);
- Timeliness (meet deadlines, generally handle duties in an efficient and timely manner);
- Multi-tasking (prioritizing and juggling various tasks effectively).
- Ability to sustain a pro-active approach to problem-solving (managing and structuring a range of responsibilities without close supervision);
- Presentation of documents and ensuring reports are of high quality;
- Helpful / positive attitude / diplomatic;
- Exceptional organizational skills (working to deadlines and under pressure, prioritising workload, multi-tasking, tidy and efficient workspace and electronic files);
- Good attendance / punctuality.
- High proficiency in both English and French is essential (written, comprehension and verbal communication).
Employment Conditions: This position is full-time and permanent, based in Ottawa.
Due to Covid-19 we are currently working from the office on 2 pre-scheduled days each week and remotely for the other 3 days. This schedule will be re-visited in January and it is anticipated that some remote work will be allowed moving forward. We do allow fully vaccinated employees to work full time from the office if they desire.
Candidates are encouraged to apply by 28 January 2022/as soon as possible on our Careers Page.
For your application to be considered, please upload your documents as followed: Candidate Last Name, First Name, date, Title of the Position.
We thank all applicants, however only those shortlisted will be contacted.
With more than 35 years’ experience, Cowater International is Canada’s global leader in management consulting services specializing in international development and has managed the implementation of over 800 projects in more than 80 countries around the globe. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, financial and environmental impacts. Our adaptive approach to management has led to our award-winning work and recognition as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, Cowater International also has corporate offices in Montreal, Quebec; London, United Kingdom; Nairobi, Kenya; and Brussels, Belgium, in addition to project offices in a wide variety of other locations across Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia.
We thank you for your interest in building a better tomorrow with Cowater International.