Employment Type: Short-term Assignment, 330 days over a 5 year period
Location: Canada or Internationally based
Reports to: Project Manager (PM), EDM-CAA
Remuneration: Fees for local professionals are subject to negotiation and must not exceed local market rates
Committed to Inclusivity and Diversity: Alinea provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants on the basis of merit.
Alinea is committed to safeguarding children and vulnerable adults. Given the nature of our work, candidates will be subjected to due diligence checks and to enhanced background checks as appropriate.
Alinea is a global international development consultancy. We provide technical and management expertise that helps people improve their lives. We work with governments, investors, companies and communities to deliver lasting change. Over the past 34 years, we have managed more than 515 projects in 88 countries.
The EDM-CAA Project will provide targeted, short-term technical assistance in Sub-Saharan, in response to locally-identified needs. The Project aims to assist in addressing the causes and effects of climate change, including by increasing women’s capabilities to fully participate as active agents of change. The Project aims to accomplish this by:
· Helping develop or strengthen climate-related legislation, policies and strategies and implement Paris Agreement and related UNFCCC commitments.
· Supporting implementation of Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) and National Adaptation Plans (NAPs) to mitigate emissions and adapt to the adverse effects of climate change. Mitigation efforts will focus on increasing access to renewable energy, and reducing emissions from deforestation and forest degradation. Adaptation efforts will focus on agriculture and water resource management, given their high level of climate vulnerability.
· Supporting the implementation of the 2017 UNFCCC Gender Action Plan (GAP), with a specific emphasis on climate education programs that target women and youth, as well the capacity of national climate institutions to integrate Gender Equality (GE) considerations into climate policy and programming.
The Climate Change Adaptation Advisor will be responsible for providing technical assistance to the Project, in particular climate change adaptation initiatives under Component 2: Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation. Responsibilities of the Climate Change Adaptation Advisor include, but are not limited to, the following:
Providing inputs into the development of the Project Implementation Plan (PIP) and Annual Work Plans (AWPs);
Providing contributions to results tracking and progress reports;
In collaboration with the PM, assessing adaptation Requests for Support (RFSs) against selection criteria from a technical perspective and making recommendations concerning whether the request should move forward, requires further refinement or development, or should not be implemented;
Preparing, or working closely with the PM in the preparation of Terms of Reference (TOR) for accepted Requests for Support, including individual assignment work plans and budgets related to climate change adaptation;
Ensuring that deployed technical experts are fully vetted for their technical competence and are given appropriate technical briefings prior to deployments;
Maintaining technical oversight on the provision of technical assistance related to climate change adaptation;
Ensuring that deployed adaptation technical experts are fully debriefed and that recommendations for future action following deployments are compiled and documented;
Participating in Project Steering Committee (PSC) and other meetings, as requested by the PM;
Reviewing and commenting on Initiative Reports;
As approved in AWPs, undertaking annual monitoring missions to selected Sub-Saharan African countries to assess selected adaptation initiatives, including validation of results, assessing quality of expertise deployed, and/or suggested follow-up areas for technical assistance (Note: if travel is restricted due to the pandemic, missions may be remote);
Advising the PM on international climate change developments, specifically as they relate to the Paris Agreement and broader UNFCCC commitments, the Sustainable Development Goals and climate change adaptation in Sub-Saharan Africa;
Participating in project-level capacity strengthening initiatives as needed (e.g., gender equality training, etc.); and
Contributing to knowledge sharing processes and contributing to and/or developing knowledge products, including lessons learned, best practices, and technical papers/briefs, as requested by the PM.
Academic Qualifications and Experience:
· Undergraduate degree (i.e. Bachelor or equivalent);
· Minimum of five years of working experience in climate change adaptation in the water and / or agriculture sector;
· Demonstrated experience providing technical services relevant to the Paris Agreement;
· Demonstrated relevant experience working in the context of international development;
· Fluency in English or French is required; fluency in both is a significant asset.
Interested applicants are asked to submit their cover letter and CV firstname.lastname@example.org January 28th, 2022. Please include the position title in your subject line and state your approximate salary expectations as a daily rate, C$.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted; no telephone enquiries, please.