Consultant, Capacity Building and Sustainability
Terms of Reference
Position Title: Consultant, Capacity Building and Sustainability
Period of Assignment: 25 days
Will report to: Team Leader, AIPTIS
Will collaborate with: Team Leader and other team members
With more than 35 years of experience, Cowater International Inc. is Canada’s global leader in management consulting services specializing in international development. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada and with experience in more than 80 countries, Cowater has established itself as Canada's leading management consulting firm in international development. Our clients include the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Global Affairs Canada, the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) and many more.
Cowater is recruiting short-term services of a consultant to develop the Partner Capacity Building Strategy and Sustainability Guideline and Strategy for a DFAT-funded development initiative in Indonesia, called the Australia-Indonesia Partnership Towards an Inclusive Society (AIPTIS). The Program aims to empower local actors who influence the social, political, and economic institutions in Indonesia that underpin an inclusive, stable and prosperous democracy.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The objective of this role is to produce the program-level Partner Capacity Building Strategy and Sustainability Guideline and Strategy (the strategies), including undertaking inputs to engage with stakeholders and ensure that context is understood and accounted for in the strategy.
The role of the short-term consultant for Capacity Building and Sustainability is to assess the program context and objectives with regards to partner capacity, CSO enabling environment and sustainability and produce two program-level strategy documents which will be used to guide the program’s approach to partner capacity building and sustainability. The Capacity Building and Sustainability strategies will include, but not be limited to:
- Overview of context
- Key opportunities and constraints
- Purpose, scope, and strategic approach to capacity building and sustainability across program objectives
- Monitoring, evaluation, research, and learning
- Identified risks and proposed mitigation / management measures
- Year 1 plan (key activities)
- Outline of work plans for subsequent years of implementation
A draft outline for the documents will be provided by the consultant for discussion upon commencing the assignment.
Specific tasks of the assignment include:
- Developing a work plan for delivery of the strategies within the specified timeframe;
- Undertake desk-based research on the specific context in which AIPTIS will be operating;
- Developing and delivering a stakeholder engagement plan, in consultation with the Team Leader and DFAT;
- Engaging with key program personnel in the design of the strategies to ensure alignment with, and contribution to, program objectives and other program strategies and approaches, e.g. the GEDSI, MEL Framework; and
- Drafting and developing the strategy documents in line with document parameters as agreed with the Team Leader (length, structure, etc.).
- Work plan for completing the Partner Capacity Building Strategy and Sustainability Guideline and Strategy, including proposed stakeholder engagement plan and strategy outline.
- Completed Partner Capacity Building Strategy and Sustainability Guideline and Strategy for the AIPTIS program (maximum 15 pages + annexes) per strategy document.
- Master’s degree in gender, sociology, international development or another relevant field
- A minimum 15 years’ experience working on gender, social inclusion or civil society in an international development context
- Excellent understanding of civil society, its role in a democratic and inclusive society
- Previous capacity building experience with civil society/NGO’s/other non-state actors
- Proven critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Strong report writing and spoken communication skills in English are required. Knowledge of Bahasa would be an asset.
- Experience working in Indonesia, including with women and girls, people with disabilities, and ethnic minorities, is an advantage.
Candidates are encouraged to apply by April 26, 2021/as soon as possible on our Careers Page.
For your application to be considered, please upload your documents as followed: Candidate Last Name, First Name, date, Title of the Position.
We thank all applicants, however only those shortlisted will be contacted.
With more than 35 years’ experience, Cowater International is Canada’s global leader in management consulting services specializing in international development and has managed the implementation of over 800 projects in more than 80 countries around the globe. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, financial and environmental impacts. Our adaptive approach to management has led to our award-winning work and recognition as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies in 2017, 2018 and 2019. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, Cowater International also has corporate offices in Montreal, Quebec; London, United Kingdom; Nairobi, Kenya; and Brussels, Belgium, in addition to project offices in a wide variety of other locations across Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia.
We thank you for your interest in building a better tomorrow with Cowater International.