In-Country Project Manager, Liberia
Employer: Justice Education Society of British Columbia (JES)
Location: Monrovia, Liberia
Status: Full-time employment term until December 2022 (2 years), with the possibility of extension (TBD) – conditional upon funding**
Application Deadline: Friday, October 16th, 2020
Start Date: January 2021 (TBD) – conditional upon funding**
**This position is conditional upon grant award funding. JES reserves the rights to review the job description, terms and conditions upon confirmation of the award.
JUSTICE EDUCATION SOCIETY (JES)
The Justice Education Society of British Columbia (JES) is a non-profit organization with over 30 years of experience providing public legal education and justice system capacity building in Canada and overseas. In Canada, JES helps more than 700,000 British Columbians learn about our justice system and address their legal issues. Internationally, JES has programs in Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Panama and Guyana which work with national institutions to strengthen justice systems, access to justice and citizen security. JES has offices in Canada, Guatemala, Honduras and Guyana and diverse sources of funding, including donors and provincial, federal and overseas governments. More information on JES is available at: www.JusticeEducation.ca.
The Justice Education Society is seeking an In-Country Manager to implement and coordinate activities related to the “Leadership and Management for Liberian Law Enforcement” project, funded by the United States Department of State, Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs (INL).
The goal of the project is to improve capacity to deter crime, including transnational organized crime, and maintain citizen security and public order in Liberia through the training of Liberian Law Enforcement.
This 2-year project aims to develop and implement an integrated training and mentoring program for Liberian law enforcement that includes aiding Liberian law enforcement entities to self-train. This project will provide training and mentoring at all levels: executive, mid-level management, and rank-and-file in Monrovia and select counties in support of the goals and objectives.
The In-Country Project Manager, Liberia reports to the U.S.-Based Project Manager and works collaboratively with JES team members across the organization. The In-Country Project Manager, Liberia will provide a full range of support to the JES team members in Liberia and abroad. Such support includes: general oversight and coordination of trainings and activities in Liberia, management of team members, in-country point of contact for the U.S. Embassy and other international officials, housing and living support, logistical and administrative support, medical support, and contingency plans for emergencies.
This is a results-based position in a fast-paced non-profit organization. Management of a large workload with various deadlines within a professional team environment makes it an exciting role that allows for great achievement and success.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Logistics and Procurement
- Assist in setting up and operating a project office in Monrovia (sub-contracts, bank account, registry, insurance, etc.).
- Help coordinate housing and living support, logistical support, medical support, and contingency plans for emergencies.
- Manage equipment, materials and inventory.
- Act as the project liaison with the INL in Liberia, inviting U.S. Embassy representatives to events and share timeline of activities with the U.S. Embassy
- Liaise in the field with other relevant donors, institutional partners and other Ministries as necessary to ensure project delivery and impact.
- Act as liaison with Liberian Law Enforcement.
Project Development and Implementation
- Coordinate project activities and trainings in Monrovia and other locations in Liberia, within budget and to an appropriate quality and in coordination with the U.S.-Based Project Manager, Liberia and JES Senior Management.
- Ensure the participation of local trainers and participants in project activities
- Coordinate the negotiation and supervision of all in-country sub-contracts and monitor for results.
- Provide key content to annual work plans and reports in coordination with the U.S.-Based Project Manager and JES Senior Management.
- Plan and coordinate all missions for international experts when deployed in-country.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Contribute to and regularly update a Performance Management Framework in accordance with donor requirements.
- Coordinate with Senior Management to implement project evaluation and monitoring systems and assessment of project impact.
- Ensure that all donor contract responsibilities with respect to monitoring, reporting and evaluation activities are met.
- Recruit in-country consultants in collaboration with the U.S.-Based Project Manager, Liberia and JES Senior Management and in accordance with JES HR policies.
- Supervise and evaluate in-country project staff in accordance with JES HR policies.
- Administer JES accounting and follows finance policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with Liberian law, JES and donor procurement requirements and audits.
- Assist in monitoring project expenses and oversee financial reporting of project expenses.
- Monitor project cash flow projections and report actual cash flow and variance to the Finance Director on a regular basis.
- Proactively monitor risks, advise Senior Management on changes in risk profiles and recommend risk mitigation strategy.
Reporting and Compliance
- Produce narrative reports in accordance with funder requirements in consultation with the U.S.-Based Project Manager and the International Program Director.
- Assist in producing financial reports in accordance with funder requirements and in consultation with the Finance Director, the U.S.-Based Project Manager and the International Program Director.
- Produce ad hoc reports for JES Senior Management or donors as required.
Other duties as assigned.
- Post-graduate education in a relevant discipline such as business administration, project management, international development, human rights, law or equivalent.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- 5-10 years’ experience in managing international development projects, preferably in West Africa.
- Knowledge of international development issues, trends and practices.
- Experience working in multicultural teams.
- Experience performing logistical and administrative tasks.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and a proven ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Budgeting experience and financial management skills.
- Knowledge of computer operating systems, hardware and software.
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities.
- Excellent verbal and written skills in English.
- Highly organized.
- Ability and willingness to live and work in Monrovia, Liberia.
- Able to travel in remote locations in Liberia and internationally.
- Experience working in Liberia.
- Project experience with justice operators in West Africa.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and curriculum vitae to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “In-Country Project Manager, Liberia” in the subject line.
Deadline for reception of applications: Friday, October 16th, 2020 by 5 p.m., Pacific Standard Time. JES offers a competitive compensation package.
We thank all candidates for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.