Financial Analyst or Senior Financial Analyst
Date of Publication:
November 19, 2018
December 31, 2018
World University Service of Canada (WUSC)
Position title: Financial Analyst or Senior Financial Analyst (depends on experience)
Position location: Ottawa
Number of positions: Three (3)
Salary range: Salary and level will depend on related experience
Contract term: Full-time (35h per week)
Application deadline: Open until filled
World University Service of Canada (WUSC) is a leading Canadian international development organization focusing in three programmatic areas: Economic Opportunities, Education, and Empowerment. Our vision is a better world for all young people. It is a more inclusive, equitable, and sustainable world in which all young people, especially women and refugees, are empowered to secure a good quality of life for themselves, their families, and their communities.
WUSC currently works in over 25 countries across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America, with an annual budget of approximately CAD $45 million. We have 90 people in our Ottawa office, and over 200 people overseas implementing 16 development projects in collaboration with donors such as Global Affairs Canada (GAC), the UK Department for International Development (DFID). Globally, we partner with a network of higher education institutions, civil society organizations, private sector partners, professionals, students, volunteers, faculty and community leaders that work with us to achieve our mission.
Nature and Scope:
This Financial Analyst (FA) or Senior Financial Analyst (SFA) position will be based in Ottawa with regular communication and coordination with colleagues in Canada and overseas and some required travel overseas. Under the supervision of the Finance Portfolio Manager, the FA/SFA will have overall responsibility for the financial administration of project activities and is expected to provide high professional expertise in the conduct of financial affairs relating to the project. He or she must be a self-starter; results oriented, capable of working independently, enjoys working as part of a team and is willing and able to travel. Specific responsibilities include:
- Hands on responsibility to perform month-end and year-end closings, deferred revenue reconciliations, monthly sub-ledger balancing, review and verification of all payments, exchange rate calculations, preparation of month-end journal entries, and maintaining the chart of accounts for projects.
Financial Monitoring of Overseas Projects:
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and year-end financial statements of project activities after incorporating the field transactions for the disbursements made for overseas project operations.
- Perform financial analysis, prepare donor financial reports that are comprehensive and meet all requirements specified by the donor.
- Review field bank reconciliations and manage the cash balances for the projects.
- Ensure finance staff in the field is properly trained in terms of accounting, preparation of their country/project budgets, donor requirements, and allocation of expenditures etc.
- Travel to field office to train staff and to provide assistance with overseas financial procedures.
- Prepare detailed project working papers and year-end reconciliation of project accounts.
- Support audits commissioned by donor agencies in Ottawa and overseas including monitoring visits.
- Participate in internal audits of overseas projects supported by WUSC.
- Ensure sub-grantees financial accounting/reporting complies with donor requirements.
- Ensure implementation of necessary financial controls and due diligence (review of periodical reports, frequent monitoring visits and internal audits in the field, etc.)
- Provide regular variance analysis of project implementation and offer recommendations for possible improved courses of action to ensure efficient use of project funds.
- Prepare detailed annual project budgets in conjunction with project staff.
- Provide support in financial aspects of new project proposal development for submission to various donors.
- Other duties as required.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- University degree in Finance, Accounting, or a related field.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in corporate accounting, and project accounting with international operations.
- Proficiency in computer skills, spreadsheets (Excel), accounting packages (QuickBooks, SAGE 50), and communications packages (MS Word, and Power Point).
- Knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains will be a definite asset.
- Strong analytical, communication and problem solving skills. Capacity to identify and articulate potential problems and provide possible solutions in a concise and clear manner.
- FA: Complete fluency in English is necessary, intermediate working knowledge of French is an asset;
- SFA: Complete fluency in English is necessary, French is considered an asset.
Why work with us?
WUSC offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse workforce. Employees have exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience all while making a difference for youth around the world. We offer an environment that encourages continuous learning and professional development. All staff at WUSC have the capacity and access to influence corporate decisions and contribute to the development of key organizational strategies, plan and policies.
The WUSC office is centrally located in Hintonburg, Ottawa. We offer competitive benefits, four weeks of annual leave (for full-time employees), safe and healthy working conditions, and fair compensation.
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Click here to apply.
Senior Human Resources and Office Management Officer
Chargée des ressources humaines
World University Service of Canada (WUSC)
Entraide universitaire mondiale du Canada (EUMC)
1404 Scott Street, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Y 4M8
wusc.ca | twitter | facebook | instagram | DONATE