Gender Equality Specialist (ProNurse)
SUMMARY OF THE PROJECT
Cowater International Inc. is currently mobilizing for a five-year Project titled "Empowering Women through Professionalization of the Nursing Sector in Bangladesh (ProNurse)” The project aims to enhance the voice and influence of women in the health sector in Bangladesh, specifically through the empowerment and professionalization of nurses. The Project’s expected results include: i) improved quality of gender-responsive education for female nurses in both public and private sectors in Bangladesh; ii) improved performance and professional status of female nurses in Bangladesh; and iii) improved enabling environment for female nurses’ for increased participation in the health sector in Bangladesh.
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION
Based in Dhaka and reporting to the Project Director at HQ, the Gender Equality Specialist will work closely with the local teams. The National Gender Specialist will be responsible for the development and implementation of the Gender Equality Strategy for the Project, including supporting the achievement of the Project’s gender equality outcomes and effectively mainstreaming gender equality across project implementation, monitoring, and evaluation. Specifically, under direct supervision and guidance of the Project Director and in close collaboration with the HQ-based GE Adviser as well as sector experts, the Gender Specialist will assume the responsibilities below.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Undertake an in-depth gender-based analysis plus (GBA+), informed by research and findings from consultations with stakeholders, document and communicate findings with Project team and relevant stakeholders.
- Based on the findings of the GBA+, develop a comprehensive Gender Equality Strategy (GES), for validation by relevant stakeholders, including a plan of action which delineates roles and responsibilities and timelines for the implementation of the GES.
- Play an active role in the development of the Project Implementation Plan during the Inception Phase.
- Inform development of the performance management framework, including ensuring collection of sex-disaggregated data, and development of gender-sensitive indicators.
- Ensure that all training tools, materials, curricula and programs developed for different nurse cadres (in clinical care settings and in educational institutes) are gender-responsive, accessible, inclusive, and tailored to the local context.
- Ensure that technical assistance and organizational strengthening support delivered to institutional partners in the health sector, are gender responsive and informed by findings of the GBA+ (e.g., development of gender-responsive career path and professional development program for nurses).
- Ensure consideration of gendered dimensions of epidemics in the development and delivery of epidemic management training for nurse managers, to support gender-responsive prevention and management of epidemics, including the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Engage with women’s rights organizations (WROs) or groups who advocate for the increased voice and influence of women within the health care sector.
- Work with Bangladesh Nurses Association (BNA) and identified WROs to advocate for greater women’s and nurse leadership in global and public health and improved status of nursing for i) implementation of an advocacy agenda, ii) establishment of a platform for knowledge sharing and learning, iii) implementation of a media campaign)
- Masters in Social Welfare or Social science with training on relevant domain
- Minimum 5 years of experience as a Gender Specialist / in Bangladesh and/or within the broader global development context.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the health sector, specifically the nursing profession, and issues related human resources for health.
- Demonstrated experience in integrating gender equality considerations within institutional capacity development.
- Demonstrated experience providing support and working with WROs, particularly in Bangladesh.
- Experience with GAC funded project and DGNM
Candidates are encouraged to apply by April 18th, 2021 on our Careers Page.
For your application to be considered, please upload your documents as followed: Candidate Last Name, First Name, date, Title of the Position.
We thank all applicants, however only those shortlisted will be contacted.
The plus (+) refers to in-depth analysis that will go beyond considerations of sex and gender to include intersectional identity characteristics, such as age, socioeconomic status, education, mental or physical disability, etc.
With more than 35 years’ experience, Cowater International is Canada’s global leader in management consulting services specializing in international development and has managed the implementation of over 800 projects in more than 80 countries around the globe. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, financial and environmental impacts. Our adaptive approach to management has led to our award-winning work and recognition as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies in 2017, 2018 and 2019. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, Cowater International also has corporate offices in Montreal, Quebec; London, United Kingdom; Nairobi, Kenya; and Brussels, Belgium, in addition to project offices in a wide variety of other locations across Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia.
We thank you for your interest in building a better tomorrow with Cowater International.