SUMMARY OF THE PROJECT
The Improving Environmental Management of Mining and Energy Activities in Peru (MEGAM) seeks to reduce the negative environmental impacts of mining activities in Peru, in order to contribute to economic growth and sustainable development for Peruvians, including women and vulnerable groups. MEGAM will achieve this through improvements in the effectiveness of the environmental process (evaluation & certification and monitoring & supervision of mining activities) and strengthening environmental governance.
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION
Based in Peru and reporting to the Project Director, the full-time Gender Specialist will work in close coordination with project specialists and key stakeholders. Responsibilities include providing technical assistance in the implementation of the below activities.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Assess weaknesses and opportunities related to the incorporation of the rights of women and vulnerable populations in the activities of MEGAM project stakeholders. Identify indicators that support the monitoring of progress related to ??gender and vulnerable populations.
- Develop a coordinated plan of project activities regarding the incorporation and mainstreaming of gender and vulnerable populations to support MEGAM's implementation. Promote awareness, discussion and definition of priorities with the team of MEGAM specialists and national and regional authorities.
- Prepare basic documents to facilitate the understanding of rights of women and vulnerable populations within the framework of MEGAM activities.
- In coordination with the Regional Coordinator and the Regional Liaison Officers of MEGAM, travel to the regions, to promote and guide the development and implementation of a work plan in each region to strengthen the presence of women in the environmental evaluation, certification, supervision and monitoring processes. The Gender Specialist is expected to dedicate at least 50% of their time to the implementation of regional activities.
- Propose and develop tools and materials to support the training of public servants on gender issues and vulnerable populations at the national and regional level. In addition, lead the training processes regarding gender.
- Support the sharing of experiences and good practices related to women in environmental management of mining and energy activities.
- Facilitate the creation and operation of work and discussion spaces on gender and environmental management.
- Masters in Social sciences or related area, with knowledge and training in gender
- Minimum 4 years of experience as a Gender Specialist and/or in the implementation of activities related to a gender approach: assessment and identification of gaps, design of strategies, planning, training programs, awareness-raising, design of indicators and preparation of reports
- Minimum 3 years of experience working with international development/cooperation projects providing technical assistance to public and private actors
- Fluent in Spanish required, Intermediate English and asset
- Availability to travel to regions within the scope of the project when possible and complying with COVID-19 protocol
- Strong planning and organization capacities, excellent communication skills and ability to work within a team
Candidates are encouraged to apply by April 30th, 2021 on our Careers Page.
For your application to be considered, please upload your documents as followed: Candidate Last Name, First Name, date, Title of the Position.
We thank all applicants, however only those shortlisted will be contacted.
The plus (+) refers to in-depth analysis that will go beyond considerations of sex and gender to include intersectional identity characteristics, such as age, socioeconomic status, education, mental or physical disability, etc.
With more than 35 years' experience, Cowater International is Canada's global leader in management consulting services specializing in international development and has managed the implementation of over 800 projects in more than 80 countries around the globe. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, financial and environmental impacts. Our adaptive approach to management has led to our award-winning work and recognition as one of Canada's Best Managed Companies in 2017, 2018 and 2019. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, Cowater International also has corporate offices in Montreal, Quebec; London, United Kingdom; Nairobi, Kenya; and Brussels, Belgium, in addition to project offices in a wide variety of other locations across Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia.
We thank you for your interest in building a better tomorrow with Cowater International.