Innovative Financing Specialist
Date of Publication:
27 January 2020
7 February 2020
Field Support Services Project (FSSP) is a five-year project (October 2019 – October 2024) funded by DFATD and managed by Cowater International. FSSP provides administrative, financial, procurement, and logistical services as well as support to the in-country development programming for the Government of Canada through the provision of technical specialists in gender equality, governance and human rights, and environment and climate action and assisting DFATD in procuring and managing local development initiatives. These programs will take place in Indonesia and the ASEAN regions.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
FSSP is currently looking for Innovative Financing Specialist to provide advice, analysis of specific finance knowledge and network development which will offer a stock-take of some of the most important initiatives in the realm of innovative finance – both those that have reached implementation stage and those that remain aspirational. He/she will explore the role of innovative finance in a changing international finance landscape – one which has seen new finance providers, new financial instruments and sustainable finance initiatives emerge and become more prominent over recent years; and compile new data and reflect the perspectives of a range of experts who will be consulted and interviewed for their inputs. The advice and analysis services will be provided to both Global Affairs Canada (GAC) and the Government of Indonesia. He/she will be led by GAC Sector Team Lead in consultation with
other relevant stakeholders.
- Familiarize him/herself with GAC programs linked to innovative financing, different programming modalities,and risk tolerance;
- Compile new data on current trends on innovative finance, comparing this to historical data on innovative finance, analyze the different innovative finance approaches by deal size, financial instruments/vehicles, type of investors, etc.;
- Carry out a brief literature review on the range of applications of innovative finance mechanisms, and how they are funded;
- Conduct a mapping of partnerships among public, private and philanthropic investors in social services,
- SMEs and infrastructure development. This entails identifying:
- Who are the philanthropists and foundations;
- What are philanthropists, foundations and private sector investing in, and;
- What do they want as a result;
- How is the philanthropist and public sector partnering with the private sector.
- Conduct a mapping of other donors’ initiatives in the market.
- Explore what sector and under what condition certain innovative finance approach has worked (or not) in Indonesia, and why;
- Specifically identify opportunities where GAC should and could deploy its concessional finance capital and technical assistance, taking into account different program parameters and policy priorities, types of financial instruments and authority available, and potential linkages and priorities of other concessional capital providers in the same market.
- Offer reflections and recommendations on ways forward in this area;
- Participate in regular meetings/conference calls with GAC and key stakeholders;
- Support GAC to carry out other analysis and support to the planning of new initiatives;
- Comment on proposals for funding;
- Compile information; and
- Any other relevant tasks as assigned by the GAC.
- Post-graduate degree from an accredited, recognized institution in a relevant discipline such as business administration, economics, finance, international development, or relevant fields. Additional graduate qualifications will be considered as assets.
The Consultant must have a solid knowledge of the innovative financing sector, a good knowledge of Indonesia context, a good knowledge of the Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy (FIAP) and a good knowledge of:
- Canada’s Approach to Innovative Financing for Sustainable Development
- the Addis Ababa Action Agenda (AAAA)
- Agenda 2030
- the Paris Agreement on Climate Change
- OECD-DAC blended finance principles
- Tri Hita Karana Roadmap for Blended Finance
- Gender-lens investing
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling GAC’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of GAC, including responsible and gender-sensitive development investments;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality, and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrated ability to interact with individuals of different national and cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which includes the willingness to understand different views and opinions;
- Demonstrates a rigorous analytical approach, systemic thinking, and good judgement in reviewing secondary sources;
- Displays self-management, including capacity to plan and adhere to deadlines;
- Displays emotional intelligence;
- Self-motivated, proactive, and reliable with good communication skills.
- At least 3 years of experience in working in the domains of Social Entrepreneurship, Innovation, Venture Capital, Private Equity, Impact Investment, Project Incubation & Acceleration, or Project Finance;
- Experience working in an International Financial Institution/Development Financial Institution and/or other bilateral donors in the context of innovative financing for development;
- Ability to innovate and work within and across government and private institutions on private sector financing solutions for development (ideally with an understanding of available solutions);
- Experience and understanding of policy, advocacy, evaluation, business, and finance;
- At least 3 years of relevant experience in writing and researching on public and or/private finance;
- Demonstrated experience in writing concisely and clearly on complex economic and financing topics;
- Experience on financing for development topics/processes, especially innovative finance;
- Strong knowledge of the international and regional sustainable finance; and
- Other experiences on blended/innovative financing projects.
Experience considered as an asset:
- International experience in the fields of business and economic research environment and an understanding of the issues and challenges in Indonesia;
- Experience having developed and/or facilitated complex partnerships, ideally including between public andprivate parties; strong relationship builder with excellent interpersonal skills is essential for this position;
- Establishment and operations of investment funds, including sovereign investment funds that invest domestically, and including legal, regulatory, institutional and governance aspects;
The Consultant must possess the following levels in English:
- Oral = 4 – Advanced Professional Proficiency
- Reading = 4 – Advanced Professional Proficiency
- Writing = 4 – Advanced Professional Proficiency
WORK ARRANGEMENTS / EMPLOYMENT CONDITIONS
The Consultant will work from his/her home base with virtual meetings/interviews with GAC colleagues and external experts. The Consultant is expected to rely on his/her expertise, conduct an extensive literature review and perform triangulation by interviewing experts. The draft reports/deliverables produced by the Consultant will be peer reviewed by experts, the result of which should be incorporated by the Consultant.
The Consultant will report to GAC’s Innovative Financing Sector Team Lead. A consultant evaluation will be completed in order for regular payment to be released upon satisfactory delivery of the assignments. In the event that travel to other regions or cities is necessary, all necessary costs will be borne by GAC through the Field Support Services Project (FSSP).
DURATION AND VALUE OF CONTRACT
The total expected duration of the assignment is for one year with maximum number of working days is 120 days. All reports must be finalized and submitted within this period. The Consultant is expected to start on or around mid February 2020.
Payments will be processed against the reports (deliverables), therefore a financial report is requested for each deliverable, giving the opportunity for the Consultant to manage the number of days to spend on each deliverable within the defined timeframe.
The application is a two-step process. Failing to comply with the submission process may result in disqualifying the applications:
Step 1: Interested individual consultants must include the following documents when submitting their
application to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, 7 February 2020.
- CV indicating all past experience from similar projects relevant to the assignment, contact details (email and telephone number) of the Consultant and at least three (3) professional references (max 3 pages); and
- Brief statement as to why the individual considers him/herself as the most suitable for the assignment (max 1 page).
Step 2: Submission of Financial Proposal
After review of applications, shortlisted candidates (ONLY) will be contacted by FSSP and requested to submit a
- The financial proposal should specify an all-inclusive daily rate and the lumpsum fee based on deliverables (which will be provided) with cost breakdown for up to 120 working days;
- The financial proposal must be all-inclusive and take into account various expenses that will be incurred during the contract, including: the daily professional fee and, when applicable, any other relevant expenses related to the performance of services under the contract, not including travel expenses.
- The Financial Proposal is to be submitted by e-mail as per instructions provided in a separate email that will be sent to shortlisted candidates.
Incomplete applications will not be considered, please make sure you have provided all requested materials.
Qualified women are encouraged to apply.
Due to the large number of applications we receive, we are only able to inform the shortlisted candidate(s) about the
outcome or status of the selection process.
Evaluation of Application
The evaluation of the Technical criteria will be as follows:
Sl No Criteria Points
|Academic qualifications of the Consultant||10 points|
|2||Specific experience of the Consultant relevant to the assignment||30 points|
|3||Consultant’s knowledge of the innovative financing sector||20 points|
|4||Proficiency in Spoken and Written English||20 points|
|5||Consultant’s knowledge of Indonesia||10 points|
|6||Consultant’s knowledge of other areas relevant to the assignment||10 points|
|Total points||100 points|
NB: The minimum technical score (St) required to pass is: 70 points.
The evaluation of the financial quote will be as follows:
The lowest evaluated Financial Quotation (Fm) is given the maximum financial score (Sf) of 100.The formula for
determining the financial scores (Sf) of all other Quotations is calculated as following:
Sf = 100 x Fm/F
in which “Sf” is the financial score, “Fm” is the lowest price, and “F” the price of the Quotation under consideration.
The weights given to the Technical (T) and Financial (P) are:
T = 80%
P = 30%
Quotations are ranked according to their combined technical (St) and financial (Sf) scores using the weights (T = the
weight given to the Technical Criteria; P = the weight given to the Financial Quotations; T + P = 1) as follows:
S = St x T% + Sf x P%
With more than 34 years’ experience, Cowater International is Canada’s global leader in management consulting services specializing in international development and has managed the implementation of over 800 projects in more than 80 countries around the globe. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, financial and environmental impacts. Our adaptive approach to management has led to our award-winning work and recognition as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies in 2017 and 2018. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, Cowater International also has corporate offices in Montreal, Quebec, Paris, France, Pretoria, South Africa, and London, United Kingdom, Nairobi, Kenya in addition to project offices in a wide variety of other locations across Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia. We thank you for your interest in building a better tomorrow with Cowater International