Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Manager
Date of Publication:
3 May 2021
31 May 2021
CLIC - CANADIAN LEADERS IN INTERNATIONAL CONSULTING INC.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Manager
Position: Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Manager (MEL Manager)
Reporting to: Director of Programs and Partnerships
Type of position: Full-time employee position
Start Date: As soon as possible
Application deadline: Open until filled
Salary Scale: Based on experience and sector norms
The MEL Manager ensures that CLIC’s internal projects meet and align with all terms of reference and programmatic design related to current and future projects and ensures that all M&E is conducted according to highest standards. The M&E and Learning Manager is part of the Management Team and plays a role in growing the CLIC-EVALUATIONS portfolio of monitoring and evaluation, as well as identify consultants and new partnerships to achieve the targets. All actions undertaken by the MEL Manager are guided by CLIC’s mission and values.
The MEL Manager is responsible for the development, administration, management, implementation and delivery of the monitoring and evaluation components of CLIC’s projects and contracts worldwide. More specifically, the M&E and Learning Manager will carry out the following tasks:
- Lead the implementation of monitoring and evaluation contracts including international travel when required
- Work closely with the CLIC team in Ottawa to identify and propose responses to Calls for Proposal by Canadian and international organizations and governments for institutional, program and project monitoring and evaluation initiatives
- Provide overall management for the design, implementation, oversight and quality control of CLIC’s evaluations and assessments.
- In coordination with CLIC’s Director of Programs and Partnerships, manage and supervise monitoring and evaluation life cycles of ongoing projects including but not limited to the WE LEAD project in Jordan and the BRIDGE project in Iraq
- Support as appropriate the M&E staff and consultants in the project field offices
- Identify opportunities and provide leadership on proposal writing
- Provide technical support in evaluation systems, Results-Based Management and project development
- Coordinate, supervise and assure quality of monitoring and evaluation activities among staff, partners, consultants and volunteers involved in CLIC projects;
- Develop and maintain the monitoring and evaluation systems, including the processes for data collection, cleaning and processing, and use of data;
- Develop data collection tools and protocols based on rigorous methodologies and appropriate to context;
- Develop project/program monitoring plans and measure project progress against indicators
- Support project/program staff with effective use of tools and methodologies for planning, monitoring and reporting
- Manage day-to-day client interactions in relations to evaluations.
- Liaise with external evaluators and provide backstopping support to ensure timely implementation of evaluations and assessments.
- Conduct data gathering, research and analysis of qualitative and quantitative data
- Write and edit reports as required.
- When needed, and in coordination with the Director of Programs and Partnerships, provide project management assistance on various projects/programs
- Support reporting of results using results-based management (RBM) approaches
- Provide technical support to partners and volunteers in monitoring and evaluation
- Lead capacity assessments of stakeholders and develop capacity strengthening plans in M&E
- Co-ordinate and undertake capacity building activities and training workshops in M&E
- Undertake monitoring visits to partner institutions including private sector partners and training institutions as required
- Undertake visits as per approved budgets to field locations to support monitoring and evalua-tion processes and, develop and implement accountability processes related to projects includ-ing but not limited to WE LEAD in Jordan and BRIDGE in Iraq
- Undertake other tasks assigned by the Director of Programs and Partnerships.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
Knowledge and Experience
- Master’s Degree in international development, political science, social sciences or relevant discipline or undergraduate degree and significant relevant experience
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience, including field-based experience, in conducting and managing project/program evaluations and assessments in the international development context.
- Membership or certification in a professional evaluation association an asset.
- Experience in the preparation of evaluation reports for different audiences – technical, management, government, donors and other stakeholders.
- Experience in managing international development projects/programmes in multi-stakeholder and complex environments is an asset.
- Experience managing directly or indirectly – particularly remote leadership – an asset.
- Experience and knowledge of development issues in the Middle East and North Africa region an asset.
- Experience in proposal development and writing is highly desired.
- Fluency in English essential
- Competency in French highly desirable
- Competency in other languages, particularly Arabic, a strong asset
Skills and Abilities
- Entrepreneurial and willing to engage own network and that of CLIC to build business opportunities.
- Advanced interpersonal and verbal communication skills, in particular to collaborate among an international and multidisciplinary team.
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills to think and plan strategically and the ability to translate this into practical and feasible operational program planning both in written and verbal formats.
- Strong Microsoft Office Skills. Demonstrated knowledge of SPSS or other data management applications an asset.
- Strong organisation and time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Proven budgeting and financial management skills, including attention to detail and working with tight deadlines.
- Problem-solving, coordination and facilitation skills.
- Availability and willingness to travel.
- Willingness to work irregular hours.
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Benefits package available.
To apply please submit the following documents:
- Your current CV
- A cover letter
- References will be requested if interview is successful
Please email your application to email@example.com and put “MEL Application” in the email subject line. We thank all candidates for their interest, however only short-listed applicants will be contacted. This position is open until a successful candidate is found.