Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Specialist
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION
Based in Ramallah and reporting directly to the Team Leader, the MEL Specialist will be engaged on the project on a full-time basis. S/he will be responsible for the implementation of the Project’s MEL system including ensuring that project performance meets GAC, Cowater and project quality standards. The MEL Specialist will lead activities to support the implementation of the GROW MEL Framework including strong performance management indicators. S/he will lead the rolling baseline data collection and ensure that data is collected regularly against the project’s logic model and performance measurement framework. S/he will be responsible for creating a monitoring and communications plan in collaboration with the other GROW team members which ensures that lessons learned are incorporated into activities to achieve greater impact. The MEL Specialist will be required to produce regular monitoring and evaluation reports, evidence-based case studies and success stories for dissemination per GROW’s communications plan. Additionally, s/he will lead and provide technical guidance to the team and partners to ensure application of monitoring of performance and evaluating the successes in all planning, budgeting, implementation, reporting and knowledge management activities of the project.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning System
- Lead the implementation of the MEL functions utilizing the already established robust MEL system, including the MEL Plan, ensuring compliance with defined performance measurement indicators and operationalizing the logic model and utilising supporting tools which meet GAC’s standards and are fit for the purpose this project focusing on women’s economic empowerment (WEE).
- Conduct and contribute to cross-cutting MEL project activities, including data collection, analysis, management and reporting.
- Promote an evaluation culture, focused on standards, quality assurance/control and capacity development in the project Office;
- Act as a focal point and a source of expertise for monitoring, evaluation and learning across project office and partners’ teams.
Data Collection, Analysis, and Management
- Manage and maintain the project database to ensure that key progress information is collected from partners, reviewed for accuracy and is entered into the project database in order to access most up to date information in a timely manner;
- Monitor the implementation of all activities on an on-going basis through site visits, reports from implementing partners and sub-contractors and obtaining feedback from the beneficiaries in order to confirm and triangulate reported findings;
- Oversee follow-up interviews after key outputs and record results in project database;
- Oversee all data collection activities to support project learning and evaluation, including case studies, market and community assessments;
- Develop and implement methodologies and standards for monitoring and evaluating project activities and improving data quality. In addition, s/he will also develop presentations and written reports based on findings;
- Collate and analyze monitoring and evaluation data and lead the reporting on achievement towards Project outcomes;
- Analyze larger trends by linking and examining data from a variety of sources, including activities and outputs from related initiatives in the region; and
- Supervise and work closely with the MEL team, including the M&E Officer to ensure full understanding and control over the project’s MEL functions.
Project Reporting and Evaluation
- Collaborate with the senior management team to develop tools and approaches that enable adaptive management;
- Lead the implementation of monitoring, evaluation and reporting for the overall project;
- Lead all project required reports including annual reviews, project-specific reviews, briefings for team members, semi-annual and annual progress reports to GAC and the project completion report;
- Support the Team Leader in ensuring compliance and implementation of activities pertaining to project sustainability;
- Provide data as required for independent project evaluations and ensure findings from the evaluations are incorporated into Project activities and policies as appropriate; and
- Identify any risks to the project’s ability to report on the achievements of the project; and
- Ensure that the Team Leader, Cowater HQ and GAC have relevant, timely, evidence-based and quality inputs for report, briefs, plans and communications materials.
Knowledge Sharing and Capacity Building
- Ensure that the information needs of other Project areas are supported with specific research studies or through other MEL methods;
- Assist sub-contractors in using monitoring information and applying monitoring techniques by providing technical support, where required;
- Organize workshops, participatory analyses, reflection meetings, and other learning events to develop internal and external MEL capacity and ensuring policy and procedure awareness and compliance;
- Work with the MEL and technical staff to package quality and accurate project reports, output results, stories of change, and other communications and learning pieces, for wider dissemination;
- Lead the design and drafting of evidence-based case studies;
- Support project communications functions including social media posts, website content, writing speeches, talking points, media releases etc.; and
- Lead the production of project communications products, including, but not limited to, information materials, print and audio-visual media, and other public outreach.
- Masters’ degree in communications, evaluation, economics, statistics, development studies or any other relevant social science.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in the field of monitoring and evaluation or social research in the development sector;
- Minimum of 5 years of experience and skills in data collection, analysis, and management; and
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in working in a similar capacity in donor-funded international development projects including the application of Results-based management and tools.
- Demonstrated knowledge of development issues in the West Bank, particularly in areas of gender equality and women’s economic empowerment;
- Demonstrated experience in designing, testing, and applying different research tools, analyzing data and writing evidence-based reports;
- Ability to manage multiple demands in a complex environment, while maintaining a professional and solutions-oriented attitude;
- Strong planning, facilitation and training skills; and
- Professional use of MS Office applications including strong expertise in Excel, Power Pint, and Word, and databases.
Language Proficiency: Strong communication and diplomacy skills with professional and technical writing skills in the English language
Candidates are encouraged to apply by August 29, 2021/as soon as possible.
For your application to be considered, please upload your documents as followed: Candidate Last Name, First Name, date, Title of the Position.
We thank all applicants, however only those shortlisted will be contacted.
With more than 35 years’ experience, Cowater International is Canada’s global leader in management consulting services specializing in international development and has managed the implementation of over 800 projects in more than 80 countries around the globe. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, financial and environmental impacts. Our adaptive approach to management has led to our award-winning work and recognition as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies in 2017, 2018 and 2019. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, Cowater International also has corporate offices in Montreal, Quebec; London, United Kingdom; Nairobi, Kenya; and Brussels, Belgium, in addition to project offices in a wide variety of other locations across Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia.
We thank you for your interest in building a better tomorrow with Cowater International.