Project and Business Development Manager, SEED, HQ
The role is varied and designed to provide a variety of experiences for the candidate to encourage growth. The Project and Business Development Manager will work with Cowater directors / managers and field teams, to design, monitor and deliver projects; as well as manage business development efforts for multiple donors, including DFAT and FCDO; in multiple sectors, including climate change and environmental management; health; rural and agricultural development; and women’s economic empowerment.
- Contribute to the development of innovative and successful approaches to proposals and projects, including identifying potential members of the proposed team and consortium partners
- Play a key role in the preparation of technical and financial proposals, including leading business development missions to inform the development of new project concepts
- Seek, establish and nurture relationships with client counterparts that are characterized by trust and mutual respect
- Convey the quality of our approach, team and capability compellingly to donors and clients through writing and delivering clear, accessible and well-structured documents and presentations in English
- Negotiate effectively with consultants and sub-contractors
- Create opportunities and exposure for the development of new business
Project management and implementation
- Build effective working relationships with clients from a wide range of professional and cultural backgrounds; provide troubleshooting guidance where required
- Lead the successful delivery of projects in line with the terms of reference; and to ensure client and beneficiary’s satisfaction. This includes above-average competency in the following project management areas: finances, operations, team management, quality assurance, risk management, monitoring, evaluation and learning, and client relationship management.
- Prepare quality project reports, that meet Cowater and the donor’s standards
- Communicate key project risks and issues, updates and milestones to project directors and stakeholders, clearly, concisely and in a timely fashion
- Contribute to knowledge products and learning activities
- Work effectively in politically sensitive and challenging environments, and apply Cowater's duty of care and safeguarding policy
- Build strong working relationships with project team leaders and members, ensuring they feel part of the Cowater family and that they are when to raise risks and issues
- Ensure the achievement of corporate and donor objectives, both financial and operational
- Perform additional tasks and field missions according to the needs of the team
- A Master 's degree in a relevant discipline (project management, economics, political science, international development, business administration, etc.) or equivalent experience.
Required skills and abilities:
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience with progressively more responsibility in project management and direction, administration and financial management in a team environment
- Managing and directing new or existing international development projects, including but not limited to performing quality control on deliverables; engaging in recruitment of project staff; "Hands-on" rigorous management of budgets, contracts and schedules; and maintaining clear communication lines between HQ, the field and clients
- Overseas experience in developing countries
- Experience with international donor reporting requirements (GAC, FCDO, World Bank, DFAT)
- Experience in results-based and adaptive management
- Technical expertise in one or more of the following areas is considered an asset: gender and social inclusion, climate change and environmental management, economic growth, health and education
- Fluency in English highly desirable and a second and third language considered an asset
- Excellent writing skills (reports, work plans, proposals) in English
- Strong financial management skills
- Strong managerial and organisational skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to be flexible and take on new challenges
- This position is full-time and permanent, based in Ottawa. Remote working options can be considered.
- In the current context of the Covid-19 health crisis, the functions will be carried out from the home and until further notice.
- International travel: 4-6 times a year for project management needs, technical interventions, and / or for the development of proposals.
Candidates are encouraged to apply by October 18th or as soon as possible on our Careers Page.
For your application to be considered, please upload your documents as followed: Candidate Last Name, First Name, date, Title of the Position.
We thank all applicants, however only those shortlisted will be contacted.
With more than 35 years’ experience, Cowater International is Canada’s global leader in management consulting services specializing in international development and has managed the implementation of over 800 projects in more than 80 countries around the globe. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, financial and environmental impacts. Our adaptive approach to management has led to our award-winning work and recognition as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies in 2017, 2018 and 2019. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, Cowater International also has corporate offices in Montreal, Quebec; London, United Kingdom; Nairobi, Kenya; and Brussels, Belgium, in addition to project offices in a wide variety of other locations across Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia.
We thank you for your interest in building a better tomorrow with Cowater International.