Public Outreach Officer, Network Mobilization and Volunteer Training
POSITION LOCATION: Ottawa, Canada preferred
REPORTS TO: Manager, Public Engagement
CONTRACT TERM: Indeterminate
POSITION LEVEL: PRO 1 (47.800 to 56.400)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: November 16th, 2021
EXPECTED START DATE: December, 2021
WUSC (World University Service of Canada) is a Canadian non-profit organization working to create a better world for all young people. We bring together a diverse network of students, volunteers, schools, governments, and businesses who share this vision. Together, we develop solutions in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment to overcome inequality and exclusion for youth around the world, particularly young women and young refugees. WUSC currently works in 25 countries across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America, with an annual budget of approximately CAD $40 million. We have over 90 staff in our Ottawa office, and over 200 people overseas implementing 16 development projects in collaboration with donors such as Global Affairs Canada, the UK Department for International Development (DFID), the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and the African Development Bank.
Volunteering for development is one of the important ways in which WUSC pursues its mission. WUSC’s Volunteer Cooperation Program (VCP) has ambitious targets to mobilize hundreds of skilled Canadian volunteers each year to support partners in developing countries where we are working to advance gender equality and facilitate economic opportunities for poor and marginalized young people, especially young women and refugees. Internationally, our volunteers collaborate with a wide variety of partners, including enterprise and social enterprise development incubators, skills training centres, enterprises, women's organizations, and youth groups. In Canada, WUSC works with institutions and individuals to identify, prepare, and support volunteers who travel internationally or e-volunteer to support our partners for various durations of time. Our network in Canada also works with WUSC to raise awareness among Canadians to inspire greater action on global development issues. Our collective focus is on sustainable and inclusive changes to create a better world for youth.
Under the supervision of the Manager, Public Engagement, the Public Outreach Officer, Volunteer Engagement and Training will be responsible for the co-delivery of volunteer pre-departure training, and the coordination and support for volunteer and alumni public engagement initiatives and events.
Public Outreach (55%)
- Develop public engagement resources (e.g. checklists, templates, guides) for international volunteers and other key audiences.
- In collaboration with the Public Outreach Officer, develop marketing material and other content to support the communications, programs, and public engagement team (in both official languages).
Volunteer Engagement Activities, and Events
- Ensure continuous communication with mobilized volunteers on public engagement and fundraising campaigns, events, and opportunities.
- Support the development and implementation/dissemination of public engagement initiatives and events, in collaboration with the campus. communications and programs teams.
- Provide one-on-one support for volunteers’ specific public engagement and fundraising activities (virtual and eventually in-person), offering guidance and ideas, and answering questions as needed.
- Oversee requests and the allocation of funds for volunteer public engagement activities.
- Support volunteers to track the public engagement and fundraising activities, reach, and impact of their public engagement efforts.
- Collaborate closely with the corporate communications team to amplify public engagement activities of volunteers through corporate communications channels to corporate communications audiences.
Alumni Engagement Activities, and Events
- Develop and implement strategies, work plans, and budgets for volunteer alumni onboarding and ongoing alumni engagement, in collaboration with the campus and communications teams.
- Develop new initiatives (e.g. speakers bureau, networking events) to engage alumni in new and meaningful ways.
- Oversee implementation and evaluation of alumni programs (e.g. alumni advisory committee), adapting strategies, work plans, and budgets as required.
- Provide one-on-one support to alumni who wish to undertake public engagement and fundraising activities among their networks.
- Collaborate closely with the corporate communications team to amplify alumni public engagement activities through corporate communications channels to corporate communications audiences.
Volunteer Training (40%)
- In collaboration with the Senior Training Officer, Volunteer Mobilization:
- Support the design, development, organization, preparation, delivery of pre-assignment training courses and activities for volunteers, in person and online, in both official languages.
- Support the monitoring and evaluation of training delivery and training needs and evolve the training program to respond appropriately.
Other Duties (5%)
- Provide cover for other team members, as required.
- Support the development of processes and ensure compliance for volunteer and member data management in Salesforce, assisting in the creation and application of program reports.
- Undertake specific additional responsibilities from time-to-time, as agreed upon with the Manager, Public Engagement and Manager, Volunteer Mobilization
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- University degree in a relevant field (e.g. marketing, communications, public relations, international development, adult education).
Experience & Competencies
- At least one to two years of work experience in public engagement, preferably in a communications and/or events role.
- Experience in adult education, including leading workshops or facilitating training (in person and online)
- Significant experience helping design and execute plans for public campaigns, including digital campaigns, and consultations, community liaison, events and outreach, educational programs and other engagement initiatives.
- Proficiency with information technologies (multimedia) and social media.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated capacity and willingness to work in partnership and with different cultural groups; staff and volunteers.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and French, and a demonstrated capacity to adapt communications for diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated commitment to the principles of gender equality and international volunteer cooperation.
- Experience as an international volunteer or working in international development is considered a strong asset.
- Previous experience in fundraising an asset.
- Experience in gender equality and social inclusion is considered a strong asset.
- Excellent computer skills; experience with google suite an asset.
- Ability to prioritize, organize, work independently, and take initiative.
- Ability to think critically and with an interest in improving processes.
- Curious, enthusiastic and willing to innovate and adapt.
- Available to travel to Ottawa 1-2 times per month, and work evenings and weekends, for training events and other events when necessary.
Complete fluency in English and French is required.
WHY WORK WITH WUSC?
Join Us. Our work is important, cutting-edge, and fast-paced. We encourage curiosity, innovation, and flexibility. And we provide a phenomenal learning experience.
WUSC offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. We offer employees exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience all while making a difference in the lives of youth around the world. Employees at WUSC work hard to create lasting change in education, economic opportunities and empowerment.
The WUSC office is centrally-located in Hintonburg, Ottawa. We offer competitive benefits, four weeks of annual leave (for full-time employees), safe and healthy working conditions, and fair compensation.
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion, sexual exploitation or abuse of any form. Successful applicants will be required to undertake an enhanced criminal record check where appropriate.
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
If you wish to apply for this position, please follow this link to register on WUSC’s candidate database.