Technical Expert (Rule of Law), Sri Lanka
JES is seeking an experienced and qualified Technical Expert (Rule of Law) to support the Sri Lanka Chief of Party (COP) in planning, implementing, and monitoring activities for a five-year USAID-funded project: Efficient and Effective Justice Activity in Sri Lanka.
Position: Technical Expert (Rule of Law), Sri Lanka
Employer: Justice Education Society of British Columbia (JES)
Location: Colombo, Sri Lanka
Status: Full-time position (5 years)
Application Deadline: March 12th, 2021 at 4:00 pm (PST)
Start Date: (TBD) – conditional upon funding**
** This position is contingent on funding.
JUSTICE EDUCATION SOCIETY (JES)
The Justice Education Society of British Columbia (JES) is a non-profit organization with over 30 years of experience providing public legal education and justice system capacity building in Canada and overseas. In Canada, JES helps more than 700,000 British Columbians learn about our justice system and address their legal issues. Internationally, JES has programs in Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Panama and Guyana which work with national institutions to strengthen justice systems, access to justice and citizen security. JES has offices in Canada, Guatemala, Honduras and Guyana and diverse sources of funding including donors and provincial, federal and overseas governments. More information on JES is available at: www.JusticeEducation.ca.
JES is seeking an experienced and qualified Technical Expert (Rule of Law) to support the Sri Lanka Chief of Party (COP) in planning, implementing, and monitoring activities for a five-year USAID-funded project: Efficient and Effective Justice Activity in Sri Lanka. The project will support improvements to the justice system in Sri Lanka by introducing and strengthening the features of well-functioning and modern justice systems while strengthening the relevant institutions and actors to meet international standards for the rule of law and justice.
The Technical Expert (Rule of Law) will provide advice on program content, facilitate the activities, and organize training to strengthen the administration of justice and improved qualifications and professionalism of justice sector actors. This individual must be very familiar with the Ministry of Justice, court personnel, judges and lawyers and other relevant stakeholders who contribute to the successful implementation of the project.
This position reports to the Chief of Party (COP) and works closely with the Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP), the M&E Specialist, JES Instructional Designer and JES Management.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversight, development and implementation of legal education content and activities to strengthen the judiciary system, in coordination with the COP.
- Provide advice on how to improve the justice system to meet the needs of the society in Sri Lanka and upholds the rule of law.
- Provide advice on program content and activities to improve the coherence, openness, responsiveness, and effectiveness of the Sri Lankan justice system.
- Suggest learning methodologies for legal professionals and non-legal professionals for basic and continuous education of judges, prosecutors, defense attorneys, and other actors in the judiciary system to improve case-flow management, raise awareness of international practices, new laws and reforms.
- Work with subject matters experts and Sri Lankan institutions to identify opportunities for change within the Sri Lankan justice system, provide advice on current practices, international practices, and new processes in the legal culture and courts.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Postgraduate degree (Masters or Doctorate) in Law, or relevant field.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Minimum of 10 years of demonstrated experience of improving capacity of justice sector case management, court management, and legal education.
- Advanced educational background to include law, legal education and knowledge of Sri Lankan law and the Sri Lankan legal system.
- Knowledge and familiarity with USAID program management and reporting systems.
- Strong communication skills and ability to establish and nurture working relationships with a variety of stakeholders (e.g. Ministry of Justice, court personnel, judges, lawyers, corporate and individual users of commercial courts, private sector, and business associations.)
- Sound understanding of the Sri Lanka political context, history and challenges.
- Proficiency in Office suites (Microsoft Office and G Suite).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Fluency in oral and written Sinhala and/or Tamil required.
- Must have Sri Lankan residency or citizenship, or ability to work in Sri Lanka.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and curriculum vitae to the following address: email@example.com. Please indicate “Technical Expert (Rule of Law), Sri Lanka” in the subject line.
Deadline for reception of applications: March 12th, 2021 at 4:00 pm (PST)
JES offers a competitive compensation package.
We thank all candidates for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted with shortlisted candidates between March 15th and March 20th, 2021.