FCDO Trade Connect - Team Leader
|Job stage:||Upcoming Opportunity||Wage:||Commensurate with Experience|
|Position Type:||Consultant, Long Term, Full-Time|
SUMMARY OF PROGRAMME
The Trade Connect programme aims to enhance global value chains and increase exports from developing countries to the UK and other markets. This will be achieved through the provision of ‘last mile’/‘first mile’ trade facilitation and customs support as well as business development support to firms seeking to expand to new markets, including the UK. The programme will also support UK businesses by diversifying and expanding their supply chains. Workplans will be delivered in 4 or 5 pilot countries (Egypt, Kenya/Tanzania, Nigeria and Pakistan), with a hub in the UK accessible to UK businesses and HMG.
The primary outputs are:
- Firms in targeted developing countries have increased knowledge of international markets, including the UK;
- Firms in targeted developing countries have increased awareness of preferential market access and how to use this access;
- Increased business connections between suppliers in developing countries and international buyers; and
- More export-ready firms with improved responsible and inclusive business practices and capability to trade internationally.
- Lead the development and delivery of the Trade Connect country strategies, including their design and oversight of in-country work;
- Assume responsibility for the effective implementation of work plans to ensure delivery is on time, within budget and meets clients and stakeholders expectations;
- Ensuring technical quality across all country deliverables and aligning country programmes to overall programme targets; and,
- Experience providing technical advice to UK importers.
- Ensuring the efficient and effective implementation of all in-country activities with support from the programme management unit;
- Overseeing the quality of inputs into operational work plans as well as monthly, quarterly and annual reporting, as required;
- Managing project management unit and in-country teams, while maintaining a good relationship with the Programme Director; and
- Engaging, as needed, with HMG, UKTP and Gateway for Growth programme
- Producing, managing, and updating the stakeholder engagement strategy; and
- Establish and leading working relationships with senior-level business leaders, relevant government officials and development partners, particularly in the UK.
The ideal candidate would have the following experience and capabilities:
- Minimum of 8 years managing aid programmes (DFID/FCDO funded preferred), especially in the field of trade facilitation and strengthening business enabling environments;
- Strong experience in managing complex programmes;
- Extensive experience in private sector development and/or trade facilitation;
- UK trade expertise, including an understanding of UK preferential trading agreements;
- Experience working and building relationships with SMEs, business organisations, and Chambers of Commerce to build sustainable export strategies;
- Establishing networks within key business organisations, relevant government departments and Chambers of Commerce;
- Experience working in one or more of the pilot countries (Egypt, Kenya/Tanzania, Nigeria, Pakistan); and
- Excellent written and presentation capabilities in English; Arabic, Swahili, Urdu considered an asset.
Interested candidates should submit an up-to-date CV and brief motivation statement by October 16, 2020.
We thank all applicants, however only those shortlisted will be contacted.
With more than 34 years’ experience, Cowater International is Canada’s global leader in management consulting services specializing in international development and has managed the implementation of over 800 projects in more than 80 countries around the globe. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, financial and environmental impacts. Our adaptive approach to management has led to our award-winning work and recognition as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies in 2017 and 2018. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, Cowater International also has corporate offices in Montreal, Quebec, London, United Kingdom and Nairobi, Kenya in addition to project offices in a wide variety of other locations across Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia.
We thank you for your interest in building a better tomorrow with Cowater International.