Bilingual Project Manager 1
Position: Bilingual Project Manager 1 (Canadian)
Location: Canada based
LOE in Person days: 880, (220 days per year for 4 years)
Alinea is a global international development consultancy. We provide technical and management expertise that helps people improve their lives. We work with governments, investors, companies and communities to deliver lasting change. Over the past 34 years, we have managed more than 515 projects in 88 countries.
Alinea is currently recruiting a Bilingual Project Manager 1, (Canada based) for the DFATD-funded project, Technical Assistance Program – Expert Deployment Mechanism (TAP-EDM).
With its vast network of missions abroad, the Department of Foreign Affairs Trade and Development (DFATD) interacts daily with governments around the world that often request niche Canadian expertise to assist them in addressing the public sector policy and institutional capacity gaps they face as they advance toward achieving the Sustainable Development Goals.
DFATD is establishing the Technical Assistance Partnership - Expert Deployment Mechanism (TAP-EDM) to facilitate the provision of strategic, short-term Canadian technical assistance in response to the expressed needs of national entities in Official Development Assistance (ODA)-eligible countries. TAP-EDM’s technical assistance toolkit will address needs in areas aligned with the FIAP, and do so in a manner consistent with aid effectiveness principles and the Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development. The Project will also contribute to promoting Canadian values, increasing Canada’s visibility, and projecting Canadian leadership globally, while advancing Canada’s international assistance policy, foreign policy, and trade relation interests.
The Project Manager will be based in Canada and will have day-to-day management responsibility for ensuring individual mandates are on track to achieve overall project goals while human resources are properly deployed and tasked to achieve overall project goals. The specific responsibilities of the Project Manager include the following:
- Develop and administer processes and procedures for identifying, recruiting, deploying, monitoring Canadian experts; and for organizing technical visits to Canada;
- Develop, or oversee the refinement of the Technical Assistance, (TA) mandate terms of reference and work plans, in collaboration/consultation with the Project Director, and using ad hoc relevant expertise as necessary;
- Source and contract appropriate Canadian expertise according to refined terms of reference for TA mandates and DFATDs assignation for technical assistance;
- Maintain communication and oversight with contracted technical assistance expertise in a multitude of developing countries from a Canadian project office;
- Maintain oversight of TA initiatives and related contracts;
- Identify and develop solutions to challenges and executing the TA initiatives as they arise;
- Liaise, negotiate and coordinate activities with, and including, participation of local stakeholders and partners such as national government entities and participating Canadian missions abroad;
- Facilitate coordination and collaboration among project staff under your supervision;
- Collaborate with the Communication and Public Engagement Manager to embed communication and public engagement objectives and activities into the TA initiative terms of reference;
- Collect, analyze and synthesize technical assistance related results and ensure reporting and results-based management requirements, are met and submitted to DFATD in the specified timelines;
- Ensure gender equality, environment, governance/human rights objectives are met and integrated into each TA initiative terms of reference, and into project reporting in accordance with section 3.2;
- Ensure that adequate pre-deployment training and/or briefing, including intercultural preparedness and security, is provided to contracted experts as required, in particular for TA initiatives executed in countries in fragile and conflict-affected situations; and
- Ensure post-deployment debriefing with contracted Canadian experts.
- Must be bilingual, (French and English)
- Possess a Master degree in social sciences (for example, business administration, project management, economics, political sciences, international studies or international development).
- Have relevant work experience in each function of the following, in the context of the Management of multi-year complex international development project in the last 10 years and of a value of at least five million Canadian dollars ($5M). including:
- Linking technical assistance requests with appropriate expertise;
- Liaising, negotiating and coordinating multiple TA mandates/activities with the participation of multiple local stakeholders and partners such as governments national entities and local development programs or missions;
- Result-based narrative and financial reporting, including the reporting of best practices and lessons learned;
- Ensuring project-level gender equality, environment, governance considerations are integrated.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience managing multiple short-term TA mandates or expert deployments. Projects focused on one or more of Canada’s FIAP action areas would be an asset.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience coordinating TA initiatives or expert deployments in a multitude of developing countries from a central headquarters hub in Canada.
Interested applicants are asked to submit their cover letter and CV (6 page max) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position title in your subject line, and state your approximate salary expectations as a monthly rate, CAD, inclusive of benefits.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted; no telephone enquires please.
For more information about Alinea, please visit our website: www.alineainternational.com