Civil Engineer (ProNurse)
Cowater International Inc. is currently mobilizing for a five-year Project titled "Empowering Women through Professionalization of the Nursing Sector in Bangladesh (ProNurse)” which aims to enhance the voice, influence and empower nurses in the health sector in Bangladesh. The expected results include: i) improved quality of gender-responsive education for female nurses in both public and private sectors in Bangladesh; ii) improved performance and professional status of female nurses in Bangladesh; and iii) improved enabling environment for female nurses’ for increased participation in the health sector in Bangladesh.
Based in Dhaka and reporting to the Project Director at HQ, the Civil Engineer will be engaged to lead and provide technical guidance to the project team as a part-time consultant for the inception period and then a full-time term employee once the project implementation plan is approved.
The Civil Engineer will lead the expansion and/or repair/renovation of Mohakhali College of Nursing complex and the proposed site of the National Nurse Teachers Training Institute. Normal procedures will include engineering assessment and detailed planning of the repairs and renovations work based on visits to existing buildings; gathering basic documents including plans, drawings and maps; developing guidelines and inclusion of appropriate requirements and financial resources in contracts; assessing the current waste management practices while conducting the capacity assessments at the Institutes. The Civil Engineer will also supervise and monitor all required compliances during the construction and liability period.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Introductory meeting with HED and DGNM to finalize the site location for National Nursing Teachers Training Institute and repair/renovation work of CoN at Mohakhali;
- Conduct site visit, visits and gather basic documents including plans, drawings and maps including list of prequalified health ministry contractors from either HED or PWD;
- Lead the preparation of architectural design of the expansion/new building and conduct detail engineering assessment with team;
- Prepare BOQs and draft Tender documents for procurement of services; Developing guidelines and inclusion of appropriate technical specifications and requirements in contracts
- Lead the development of project’s Environmental Management Plan
- Responsible for monitoring the construction company’s adherence to the Environmental Management Plan (including health and safety requirements) during mobilization and actual implementation of renovation work to ensure necessary mitigation measures are implemented on time.
- Supervise and monitor all required compliances during the construction and liability period in association with the project site engineers
- Supervise construction sites in accordance with contract and specifications
- Review of contractor program, ensuring all required dates are correct
- Provide necessary follow up of inventory of all items procured in the contracts according to relevant regulations;
- Conducting meetings with the contactor(s) and health centre personnel to ensure compliance with on-site safety protocol, rules and environmental guidelines during renovations and repairs;
- Quality control and assurance of installation and construction works;
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering and licensed as a professional engineer (or with equivalent certification preferred);
- At least 20 years' experience in civil engineering
- At least 10 years’ experience in the management and supervision of large-scale construction works;
- Experience of working with HED/PWD and under Ministry of Health in Bangladesh is an asset;
- Ability to work with limited supervision;
Candidates are encouraged to apply by May 3rd, 2021 on our Careers Page.
For your application to be considered, please upload your documents as followed: Candidate Last Name, First Name, date, Title of the Position.
We thank all applicants, however only those shortlisted will be contacted.
With more than 35 years' experience, Cowater International is Canada's global leader in management consulting services specializing in international development and has managed the implementation of over 800 projects in more than 80 countries around the globe. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, financial and environmental impacts. Our adaptive approach to management has led to our award-winning work and recognition as one of Canada's Best Managed Companies in 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, Cowater International also has corporate offices in London, Brussels and Nairobi in addition to project offices in a wide variety of other locations across Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia.
We thank you for your interest in building a better tomorrow with Cowater International.