Project Manager, Liberia (U.S.-Based)
Employer: Justice Education Society of British Columbia (JES)
Location: United States (Washington, or other locations)
Status: Full-time employment term until December 2022 (2 years), with the possibility of extension (TBD) – conditional upon funding**
Application Deadline: Friday, October 16th, 2020
Start Date: January 2021 (TBD) – conditional upon funding**
**This position is conditional upon grant award funding. JES reserves the rights to review the job description, terms and conditions upon confirmation of the award.
JUSTICE EDUCATION SOCIETY (JES)
The Justice Education Society of British Columbia (JES) is a non-profit organization with over 30 years of experience providing public legal education and justice system capacity building in Canada and overseas. In Canada, JES helps more than 700,000 British Columbians learn about our justice system and address their legal issues. Internationally, JES has programs in Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Panama and Guyana which work with national institutions to strengthen justice systems, access to justice and citizen security. JES has offices in Canada, Guatemala, Honduras and Guyana and diverse sources of funding including donors and provincial, federal and overseas governments. More information on JES is available at: www.JusticeEducation.ca.
The Justice Education Society is seeking a U.S.-Based Project Manager to lead, implement and manage activities related to the “Leadership and Management for Liberian Law Enforcement” project, funded by the United States Department of State, Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs (INL).
The goal of the project is to improve capacity to deter crime, including transnational organized crime, and maintain citizen security and public order in Liberia through the training of Liberian Law Enforcement.
This 2-year project aims to develop and implement an integrated training and mentoring program for Liberian law enforcement that includes aiding Liberian law enforcement entities to self-train. This project will provide training and mentoring at all levels: executive, mid-level management, and rank-and-file in Monrovia and select counties in support of the goals and objectives.
The U.S.-Based Project Manager, Liberia reports to the International Program Director located at the JES office (Vancouver, Canada), and collaborates with the In-Country Project Manager in Liberia and team members across the organization. This person will serve as the primary manager and point of contact to the funder (INL) for all matters related to the project. This includes support with logistics, implementation, personnel, finances and reporting functions of the team in Liberia. The U.S.-Based Project Manager, Liberia will also facilitate the timely recruitment, processing, and deployment for candidates in project positions, and promotes communication and coordination between JES and INL.
This is a results-based position in a fast-paced non-profit organization. Management of a large workload with various deadlines within a professional team environment makes it an exciting role that allows for great achievement and success.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Program Development and Delivery
- Produce an annual project plan in consultation with Senior Management.
- Produce a detailed work plan sequencing all activities and ensuring delivery of all activities on time, within budget and to an appropriate quality.
- Manage the implementation of project activities in coordination with Senior Management.
- Identify and coordinate work with international subject-matter experts.
- Coordinate the negotiation and supervision of all in-country sub-contracts and monitor for results.
- Liaise with INL, other relevant donors, institutional partners and other Ministries both in the United States and Liberia, as necessary to ensure project delivery and impact.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Contribute to and regularly update a Performance Management Framework in accordance with donor requirements.
- Coordinate with Senior Management to implement project evaluation and monitoring systems and assessment of project impact.
- Ensure that all donor contract responsibilities with respect to monitoring, reporting and evaluation activities are met.
- Recruit in-country consultants in consultation with Senior Management and in accordance with JES HR policies.
- Supervise and evaluate in-country project staff in accordance with JES HR policies.
- Manage all project funds according to JES accounting and finance policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with JES and donor procurement requirements
- Monitor and approve all project expenses and oversee financial reporting of project expenses.
- Monitor project cash flow projections and report actual cash flow and variance to the finance manager on a regular basis.
- Proactively monitor risks, advise Senior Management on changes in risk profiles and recommend risk mitigation strategy.
Reporting and Compliance
- In consultation with the International Program Director, write narrative reports in accordance with funder requirements.
- Assist in producing financial reports in accordance with funder requirements and in consultation with the JES Finance Director and International Program Director.
- Produce financial reports in accordance with funder requirements.
- Produce ad hoc reports for JES senior management or donors as required.
Other duties as assigned.
- Post-graduate education in a relevant discipline such as business administration, project management, international development, human rights, law or equivalent.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- 5-10 years’ experience in leading and managing international development projects, preferably in Africa.
- Knowledge of international development issues, trends and practices.
- Experience working in multicultural teams.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and a proven ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Budgeting experience and financial management skills.
- Knowledge of computer operating systems, hardware and software.
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities.
- Excellent verbal and written skills in English. French an asset.
- Highly organized.
- Legally allowed to live and work in the U.S. (Resident or Valid U.S. Work permit for 2 years – JES is unable to provide a work visa for the U.S.)
- Able to travel internationally.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and curriculum vitae to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Project Manager, Liberia (U.S.-Based)” in the subject line.
Deadline for reception of applications: Friday, October 16th, 2020 by 5 p.m., Pacific Standard Time. JES offers a competitive compensation package.
We thank all candidates for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.