Team Leader - Nursing Project (ProNurse)
Cowater International Inc. is currently mobilizing for a five-year Project titled "Empowering Women Through Professionalization of the Nursing Sector in Bangladesh" which aims to enhance the voice, influence and empowerment of nurses in the health sector in Bangladesh. The expected results include: i) improved quality of gender-responsive education for female nurses in both public and private sectors in Bangladesh; ii) improved performance and professional status of female nurses in Bangladesh; and iii) improved enabling environment for female nurses' for increased participation in the health sector in Bangladesh.
The Team Leader of the Project, located in Dhaka, will be responsible for the achievement of project results and will be accountable for the overall management, coordination and implementation of the project in Bangladesh. S/he will provide overall leadership to project staff members and consultants with respect to the strengthening of nursing services and education in Bangladesh including integration of gender equality in project activities. S/he will also be responsible for day-to-day coordination of project activities and provide technical, professional, managerial and strategic advice on project matters to the Directorate General of Nursing Services, Bangladesh Nursing and Midwifery Council and the Aid Section of the Canadian High Commission in Bangladesh. The Team Leader will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of the project, including finance and operations, development and implementation of Project Implementation Plan, Annual work plans.
Reporting Relationship: Reports to the Project Director in Canada.
- Review and validate the proposed methodology, outputs, expected intermediate and immediate outcomes (including the feasibility of achieving them within the proposed timeframe), performance indicators and risk factors/mitigation approaches;
- Prepare Project Implementation Plan, Annual Work Plans and Progress Reports and submit them to the Project Director for subsequent submission to GAC, in strict compliance with the deadlines set out in the Contribution Agreement;
- Contribute to the gender-based analysis, coordinate alignment of recommendations of the analysis in the gender equality strategy, and monitor the achievement of gender equality results;
- Provide results-based management advice to the team and establish an effective system for monitoring project progress and outcomes;
- Ensure the collection and use of sensitive and gender-disaggregated data; and
- Ensure overall coherence of Project components, and promote synergy among those and with GOB national plans - particularly the DNS and HRM OPs and the Health, Population & Nutrition Sector Development Program (HPNSDP) 2011-2016.
Project Strategy and Quality Delivery
- Develop a Program strategy and adapt, as required, based on needs to maximize impact of the Project;
- Establish and manage, in coordination with project management and Cowater headquarters, a quality control system in Bangladesh to monitor and enforce maintenance of standards and to evaluate progress throughout the project;
- Ensure that all resources allocated to the project produce the required quality of results at all levels;
- Cooperate fully with representatives of the Canadian High Commission in Bangladesh; and
- Represent Cowater's corporate interests and image at all times and rigorously follow Cowater's Code of Conduct.
- Staff Administration - in consultation with Cowater headquarters, recruit staff members, develop staff job descriptions, supervise, support and administer staff contracts, and conduct annual performance appraisals of each locally engaged staff member and report the appraisals to Cowater headquarters (staff contracts will be prepared by Cowater headquarters);
- Oversee and coordinate the activities of all components, including advisors, consultants, and staff;
- Take responsibility for carrying out procurement processes according to the guidelines specified in Cowater's Field Operations Manual, Public Procurement Rules of Bangladesh;
- Prepare and regularly update appropriate policies and procedures to facilitate office administration; and
- Select subcontractors according to approved work plans. Contracts for subcontractors will be prepared by Cowater's headquarters.
- Ensure the project maintains quality control measures to ensure proper accountability;
- Assume accountability for all field expenditures related to the Project; and
- Supervise accounting functions and approve payments.
Communication and partnership
- Maintain good communications with project partners, particularly the DGNM, BNMC College of Nursing and MOHFW, including systems for quality control, transmission and circulation of documents;
- Establishes and maintains an effective working relationship with partners, seeking advice and liaising as required; and
- Liaise with various Bangladeshi /international actors working in nursing sector as well as other donors and donor funded programs to create synergies, collaborate and share lessons.
- Minimum Master's degree in public health, social sciences or related field required.
Minimum experience :
- Minimum 15 years of experience in team management for the implementation of major health sector projects, including demonstrated ability to motivate team members to achieve results;
- Demonstrated ability to foster a stimulating work environment, based on communication, in a multicultural context;
- Minimum 10 years of experience demonstrating leadership in the management of large-scale development projects financed by public funds (Global Affairs Canada, USAID, FCDO, WB etc.);
- Experience demonstrating skills in gender, gender-based analysis (GBA), gender equality, inclusive education, knowledge of gender approach and gender analysis tools;
- Possesses a strategic vision, problem solving and ability to manage several issues simultaneously;
- Experience working in Bangladesh, ideally with Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
- Experience in supervising projects in one or more of the following areas – Nursing sector development, Women's empowerment and Gender Equality or similar Project under Ministry of Health and Famility Welfare in Bangladesh; and
- Have an established network in Bangladesh.
- Excellent communication and technical writing skills for progress reports;
- Fluency in English and Bengali; and
- Mastery of computer tools: Internet, Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint), etc.
- Bangladeshi-born Canadian national residing in Bangladesh or senior Bangladeshi national with experience of working in international/multilateral organizations;
- Experience in health system strengthening and civil society/women rights organization for a better promotion of the interests of women and nurses in particular;
- Knowledge of Global Affairs Canada's gender equality policies and GESI best practices; and
- Proficiency to engage remotely/virtually with stakeholders and efficiently lead virtual workshops/meeting.
Candidates are encouraged to apply by February 12, 2021 on our Career Page.
For your application to be considered, please upload your resume and cover letter and other relevant documents as followed: Candidate Last Name, First Name, date, Title of the Position.
We thank all applicants, however only those shortlisted will be contacted.
With more than 35 years' experience, Cowater International is Canada's global leader in management consulting services specializing in international development and has managed the implementation of over 800 projects in more than 80 countries around the globe. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, financial and environmental impacts. Our adaptive approach to management has led to our award-winning work and recognition as one of Canada's Best Managed Companies in 2017, 2018 and 2019. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, Cowater International also has corporate offices in Montreal, Quebec, Paris, London, United Kingdom and Nairobi, Kenya in addition to project offices in a wide variety of other locations across Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia.