Volunteer Gender and Agricultural Specialist
Volunteer Gender and Agricultural Specialist
Closing Date: 08 April 2019
Agriteam Canada, a Canadian-based international development consulting firm, is recruiting a Gender and Agricultural Specialist Volunteer in Ethiopia to work as a member of the Capacity Development Support Facility (CDSF) team. CDSF is designed to provide capacity development (primarily through training and ongoing job embedded support) to Government of Ethiopia institutions responsible for implementing the Agricultural Growth Program (Phase 2). AGP2 is a large, multi-donor funded program focused on improving agriculture productivity and nutrition outcomes. The beneficiaries of the program are smallholder farmers, including married women and women who head their households. CDSF is considered a “support facility” as personnel do not implement the activities of the AGP2 program, but provide capacity development support to Government staff to implement the program.
This placement is for one year (12 months). The volunteer gender and agricultural specialist will work closely with the National Gender and Leadership Specialist, as well as CDSF’s regional and zonal capacity development specialists. The volunteer will be responsible for implementing CDSF’s Gender Strategy in line with the gender mandate on AGP. She or he will carry out the following responsibilities:
- Support gender focal persons and other experts/officers in regional Government of Ethiopia institutions (such as agriculture, irrigation, cooperative and research organizations) to understand how to integrate gender-responsive activities into annual plans, and ensure effective implementation and monitoring of these activities
- Support the National Gender and Leadership Specialist to deliver job-embedded support on gender issues (including how to use a community Gender Toolkit and Business Guide Book) to regional, zonal and woreda level agriculture specialists within AGP
- Together with CDSF regional staff, provide logistical and administrative support to the regional AGP Gender Working Group
- Support the development of new tools for the AGP Gender Toolkit such as how to promote positive masculinity among men and boys at the community level
- Assist with documentation of the Gender Toolkit implementation by Government of Ethiopia (GoE) Development Agents at the community level
- Support preparation of case studies on success factors for informal women and youth agribusinesses
- Provide support for qualitative research studies to document gender-related results of AGP2
- Support the National Gender and Leadership Specialist to develop and deliver training programs to build and reinforce gender in CDSF project level planning, implementing, monitoring and reporting.
The volunteer’s work station will be in one of the following regional capitals: Hawassa or Bahir Dar. The volunteer may be expected to travel in a CDSF vehicle to remote, rural communities periodically.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree in international development, gender/feminist studies or a related field
- Experience undertaking gender-based analysis of programs or projects
- Experience delivering training or capacity development programs
- Must be fluent in spoken and written English
- Experience working and living in different countries, with knowledge of, or past experience in Ethiopia considered an asset. Speaking and writing in Amharic considered an asset.
- Willingness to be based in regional capital cities and travel to remote communities to provide support.
Volunteer Benefits and Support
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country, as needed, from Agriteam in Canada
- Pre-departure briefing to learn about CDSF and AGP, and gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context. Travel, meals and accommodation will be covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in Ethiopia
- Return flights (economy airfare) and visas
- Cost of required country-specific vaccinations
- Medical insurance
- Modest monthly living allowance, which will include accommodation
- Vacation leave entitlement
- Debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation will be covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills with a very dedicated group of people, and participate in an experience of a lifetime.
- Applicants need to be available for a 12 month period, and be prepared to mobilize as soon as possible but no later than 01 September 2019.
How to Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com, with the position title in your email subject line.